Hong Kong bars some journalists from handover anniversary celebrations

29 June 2022, 10:14

Hong Kong
Hong Kong. Picture: PA

The Hong Kong Journalists Association said those banned represent at least seven media outlets, including Reuters and Agence France-Presse.

Hong Kong authorities, citing “security reasons”, have barred more than 10 journalists from covering events and ceremonies this week marking the 25th anniversary of the region’s return to China, according to the Hong Kong Journalists Association.

The journalists represent at least seven media outlets, including international news agencies Reuters and Agence France-Presse along with others from Hong Kong, the association said in a statement posted online late on Tuesday.

“The authorities have made ad hoc and narrow interview arrangements at this important juncture and have put forth vague grounds for refusal, seriously undermining the freedom of the press in Hong Kong,” the statement read.

The Hong Kong outlets affected include the English-language South China Morning Post, and Chinese-language newspaper Ming Pao as well as online news outlet HK01, the association said.

Hong Kong was returned to Chinese rule on July 1 1997.(Kin Cheung/AP)

The South China Morning Post (SCMP) said in a news report that one of its photographers had been rejected, with no reason given.

Reuters, Ming Pao and HK01 did not immediately comment. An SCMP spokesman declined to comment, as did Agence France-Presse.

The affected media organisations were invited to send other journalists to cover the event, but the replacements must also meet quarantine and testing requirements, according to the journalist association’s statement.

Journalists covering the events must have daily Covid-19 nucleic acid tests starting last Sunday and must stay in a quarantine hotel from Wednesday.

The Information Services Department, which sent out the initial invitations to media outlets to register to cover the event, declined to provide information on how many journalists were given accreditation and also did not comment on an SCMP news report that said one of its own photographers had been barred from the event.

Hong Kong authorities have barred some journalists from events and ceremonies marking the 25th anniversary of the region’s return to China for ‘security reasons’ (Kin Cheung/AP)

“The government is striking a balance as far as possible between the need of media work and security requirements,” the Information Services Department said in a statement. “We will not comment on the accreditation outcome of individual organisations and persons.”

The rejections came as Hong Kong police confirmed that Chinese President Xi Jinping will visit the city for the anniversary of the former British colony’s return to Chinese rule on July 1 1997.

Mr Xi’s visit will be his first trip outside mainland China since the coronavirus pandemic took hold about two-and-a-half years ago. Police have announced a raft of security measures, including road closures and a no-fly zone.

By Press Association

Latest World News

See more Latest World News

Britney Spears

Britney Spears’ ex-husband convicted after trying to crash wedding

Trump FBI

FBI seized ‘top secret’ documents from Trump’s home

Montenegro Shooting

Gunman in Montenegro kills 10 before being shot dead by passerby

Author Salman Rushdie

Author Salman Rushdie attacked on lecture stage in New York

Polluted River

‘Huge’ amounts of chemical waste dumped into river in Poland

Polio NYC

Polio detected in NYC’s sewage, suggesting virus circulating

Salman Rushdie was attacked on stage

Police identify suspect after Salman Rushdie stabbed in the neck and abdomen while on stage at New York event

Europe Drought

European drought dries up rivers and shrivels crops

Johnson Johnson-Baby Powder

Johnson & Johnson to end sales of baby powder with talc globally next year

Huge fires have been ravaging parts of southern France

Seven European countries send help to battle ‘monster’ wildfire ravaging southern France

Firefighters tackling a wildfire near Saint-Magne, south of Bordeaux, south-western France (SDIS 33 via AP)

European firefighters join battle to stop French wildfires

South Korea UN

UN chief affirms support for denuclearised North Korea

South Korea Samsung

South Korea to pardon Samsung heir following corruption scandal

Hawaii Wildfire

Large wildfire burning amid drought on Hawaii’s Big Island

J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles, California

Getty Museum in LA to return illegally exported art to Italy

FBI Office Threat

Suspect who tried to breach FBI office dies in stand-off