Trafalgar Square evacuated due to controlled explosion hours before Jubilee concert

4 June 2022, 11:12 | Updated: 4 June 2022, 13:52

Trafalgar Square was cordoned off by police
Trafalgar Square was cordoned off by police. Picture: Twitter

By Daisy Stephens

Trafalgar Square was evacuated so police could carry out a controlled explosion after receiving reports of a suspicious vehicle.

Listen to this article

Loading audio...

Photos on social media show a police cordon in the area, and witnesses reported that police said they were carrying out a "controlled detonation".

Police confirmed the incident was not terror-related.

Read more: Emeli Sande's rapper ex-boyfriend stabbed to death at London party

Read more: Feuding Brothers divided: William and Harry don't talk and kept apart at St Paul's

A police cordon was in place
A police cordon was in place. Picture: Twitter @WhiteChalk

One onlooker said he was "rushed" out of a hotel and saw a vehicle with all four windows smashed.

He said he heard a "loud boom" once he was moved to the other side of the Square, and said there was "no panic" and that "police seemed to have it under control".

Another witness said it was "extremely frightening", adding: "My heart is still racing so badly."

Police confirmed the Square had been evacuated, adding later that the incident had "concluded".

A car with smashed windows was seen being removed from the scene shortly afterwards.

Photos from the aftermath showed broken glass on the road
Photos from the aftermath showed broken glass on the road. Picture: Twitter @summee777
A car was removed from the scene
A car was removed from the scene. Picture: Alamy

In a statement the Metropolitan Police said: "Police attended a report from a member of the public at 09:22hrs of a suspicious vehicle in Trafalgar Square.

"This was investigated and after police took action we have no further concern.

"This was not terrorism related."

The force added: "We encourage everyone to share with police any concerns they might have whilst out and about. Please remain vigilant."

Read more: Queen will not attend Epsom Derby, Buckingham Palace confirms

Read more: Lilibet meets Lilibet: Queen meets great-granddaughter as Royals send 1st birthday wishes

The Met confirmed earlier the incident had been stood down, saying: "Police remain on scene. The incident has now been concluded and the square will reopen in due course."

The ambulance service said they had not been called to the scene.

There were reports of a 'loud bang'
There were reports of a 'loud bang'. Picture: Twitter @bantheroom

The incident happened happened less than a mile from Buckingham Palace, where the Platinum Jubilee is due to take place later on Saturday.

Thousands of people will gather in the area for the star-studded event.

Diana Ross, Queen + Adam Lambert, Alicia Keys, Hans Zimmer, George Ezra, and Eurovision 2022 runner-up Sam Ryder are among the celebrity acts preparing to entertain a live crowd of 22,000 people and a television audience of millions.

The Prince of Wales and Duke of Cambridge will also take to the stage at the event, to publicly play tribute to the Queen.

More Latest News

See more More Latest News

iPhones are among the affected devices

Apple reveals serious security issue with iPhones, iPads and Macs that could give hackers complete control

Another day of travel chaos awaits commuters in and to London

Unions threaten to strike for 'as long as it takes' as millions face more travel chaos in London

The officer has been charged with dangerous driving

Armed officer charged with dangerous driving after he drove unmarked car to Streatham terror attack

Ryan Giggs' raunchy poems to his ex were read out in court

Ryan Giggs' mother sits in court as raunchy 'totem pole' poems he sent to ex are read out

Ms Marin said she is a normal 36-year-old who spends time with her friends

Finnish PM denies drug taking after footage of 36-year-old dancing at 'wild' party emerges

A-Level teens should take on apprenticeships, says Charlie Mullins

A-Level teens should take on apprenticeships, says Charlie Mullins

A new image, on the right, has been released

New image of man released by police after girl, 6, abducted and taken to woodland in Droylsden

Mr Mendy and Mar Matturie deny a string of sex offences

Benjamin Mendy 'told rape victim he had sex with 10,000 women and it was a privilege'

Anger as Southern Water ‘unsure’ how many litres of sewage released at closed beaches

Sewage scandal: pollution plaguing Britain’s beaches and beauty spots as water firms told 'clean up your act'

Rishi said his go-to item with his daughters would be a breakfast wrap, which has been discontinued

Rishi Sunak’s 'go-to' McDonald’s order with his family taken off menu over two years ago

Salman Rushdie suspect had ‘read two pages’ of the Satanic verses, after mother says ‘I’m done with him’.

Salman Rushdie attack suspect reveals he 'only read two pages' of Satanic Verses

Exclusive
Sadiq Khan said the heatwave was partly to blame for the recent rise in violent crime

Sadiq Khan blames London's rise in violent crime on longer days, school holidays and the heatwave

MP Margaret Ferrier has pleaded guilty to breaching Covid rules

MP Margaret Ferrier pleads guilty to Covid rule breach

The body of Aran Chada, 51, was found hundreds of metres below the surface of Lake Garda

Body of ‘Hero’ British father found at bottom of Italian Lake after he jumped from boat to save his son

Jeremy Corbyn joined striking rail workers on a picket line at Euston this morning

Labour MPs defy Starmer again by joining striking rail workers as Corbyn shows up sporting black eye

Forensic investigators at the scene in Auckland where the children's bodies were found

Horrified family finds bodies of two children in suitcases bought at abandoned storage unit sale in New Zealand